As purpose-driven professionals, we can easily lose sight of what’s truly important because we become so laser-focused on the work we are doing and what we are building that we end up burning ourselves out.
Sometimes the solution to life’s stress isn’t speeding up; instead, we need to slow down and take a moment to be mindful. Mindfulness is the awareness that arises when paying attention on purpose, to what’s happening here and now. It’s the awareness of what’s happening in the present moment, without judgment but with acceptance.
Too often, we run on autopilot. Being present wakes us up to our own lives. The more aware we are from moment to moment, the more choice we have regarding how we react to our experiences.
Oftentimes, when we are so focused on others, we don’t pay attention to what we need physically. We may not realize that we are dehydrated and need to drink some water or that we need to eat or go to the bathroom. Practicing awareness allows us to tune in to what we need.
What does it feel like for you to tune into your breath? Not trying to force or control it, but simply becoming aware of how it feels to simply breathe. Now explore what it’s like to breathe slower. Sometimes in life, it’s about the growth that happens in the discomfort, but sometimes it’s also about inviting comfort into your body to soften and release any tension, tightness, or anything else that you’re holding on to.
Mindfulness shows us what is happening in our bodies, our emotions, our minds, and in the world. Through mindfulness, we avoid harming ourselves and others. Through mindfulness, we can continue doing what we love and making a positive impact. While you’re out there doing the amazing work that you do in the world, don’t forget that you matter and are important, too.
- It’s important to be present with curiosity, open-mindedness, and without judgment.
- In order to thrive, we need to both give and receive. Take a deep breath and feel the giving and receiving of the breath. How balanced is your life?
- Are you clear on your values, and are you living in alignment with them at home and at work?
- When we take care of ourselves, we are not being selfish because selfish means “only me”; we are doing both.When we take care of ourselves, it allows us to show up as our best selves for other people.
- Mindfulness is the present-moment awareness of whatever is coming up for you: a feeling, a sensation, a thought, etc.