Investing in yourself is a powerful way to scale up and become your best self. Today’s episode of the Breakfast with Champions show focuses on prioritizing your personal growth and development, so you can enhance your skills, knowledge, and overall well-being.
If you wish to scale up and elevate your life to the next level, start by looking into ways to invest in yourself and be your best self.
Scale up: Daily action compounded over Time results in Transformation.
Glenn Lundy, an automotive leader, and the host of the wildly popular Facebook Live show #RiseAndGrind, discusses the role of consistent action and discipline when you wish to scale up in life. He recommends the book Atomic Habits, a bestselling self-help book written by James Clear, which focuses on the power of small changes, or “atomic habits,” in transforming one’s life and achieving personal growth and success. Indeed, small things, if done consistently, compound over time and result in a massive shift. Thus, consistent discipline, compounded daily over time, results in incredible transformation.
The power of discipline
You can achieve anything or pick up any skill you wish to master over time, simply by building a discipline around it. Jesse Itzler, the renowned keynote speaker and cofounder of Marquis Jet, famously remarked, “If you take any skill at all and practice it for 18 minutes a day for a year, you’ll be better than 95% of the world’s population.” At the outset, 18 minutes a day may sound insignificant, but when compounded over a year or 365 days, it amounts to a whopping 100 hours. Imagine being more skilled than the other 95% of the world—it would mean a world of endless possibilities for you and your personal and business growth.
Scale up: The importance of attending in-person events
While online interactions and virtual events have become increasingly popular and convenient, attending in-person events offers unique advantages that cannot be replicated entirely in a virtual setting. The opportunity to network, learn, scale up, build a community, encounter serendipitous opportunities, and engage in social interactions can provide numerous benefits that can contribute to personal and professional success.
Tina Wilson shares the various benefits of attending events in person, such as:
Building a Community: In-person events provide a platform for building a community of like-minded individuals who can offer support, inspiration, and motivation.
Beneficial networking opportunities: Meeting people face-to-face allows for genuine conversations, the exchange of ideas, and the potential for future collaborations or partnerships. Networking at in-person events can lead to valuable professional relationships that may not be possible through online interactions alone.
New learnings and insights: In-person events provide a chance to learn from experienced professionals, gain new insights, and acquire knowledge that can enhance your skills or career prospects.
Personal development opportunities: Attending in-person events can contribute to personal growth by exposing you to different perspectives, ideas, and experiences. It can also boost your confidence and communication skills as you interact with diverse groups of people.
How to embrace uncertainty to invest in yourself and scale up
Sometimes, entrepreneurship can be tough. Investing in yourself can be difficult when you are mired in self-doubt. The pressure may be getting to you, and you may start to feel uncertain about your actions and their consequences. If you’re experiencing thoughts like:
- What if I fail?
- What if this doesn’t work?
- Who am I to tell others how to solve this problem?
- What if this plan doesn’t work out?
Know that it’s okay to feel uncertain when you’re scaling up and investing in yourself. Fear of failure is a real thing that most entrepreneurs face at some point in their lives. Sometimes business owners are so used to holding it all in and portraying a sense of confidence for the sake of others around them that it doesn’t seem possible beyond a point to keep up the facade. You need to understand that these repressed feelings and thoughts will surface at some point without a doubt, be it in the form of burnout, lack of motivation, breakdown, or inappropriate and destructive behavior.
Here are some steps suggested by Kim Walsh Phillips, a business strategist and author, to help you embrace uncertainty and step out of your comfort zone:
Shift your mindset to be your best self.
Embrace uncertainty as an opportunity for growth rather than a threat. Recognize that uncertainty is a natural part of the business world, and it’s something that you can learn to navigate and adapt to. Embrace a growth mindset that is open to learning, experimentation, and adaptation.
Define your goals and values.
Having a clear sense of purpose and direction will help you make decisions and take risks with confidence, even in the face of uncertainty. Additionally, it will assist you in avoiding letting outside influences influence what really matters to you and your company.
Knowledge is power. Stay informed about your industry, market trends, and business environment. Stay updated with the latest tools, technologies, and strategies that can help you navigate uncertainties. Continuous learning and staying informed will enable you to make informed decisions and take calculated risks.
Step out of your comfort zone.
Identify areas where you feel comfortable and challenge yourself to step out of those comfort zones. This could mean taking on new projects, exploring new markets, or trying out new strategies. Start small and gradually push yourself to take bigger risks.
Surround yourself with support.
Surround yourself with mentors, advisors, and a supportive network of fellow business owners who can provide guidance and encouragement. Get an accountability partner who can remind you that you can achieve your goals, and that you’re capable of moving forward. Kim’s book The Shift has amazing insight regarding how you can wisely select an accountability partner who you can rely on without a doubt.
Plan for contingencies.
Uncertainty often comes with risks. Develop contingency plans to mitigate risks and prepare for unforeseen circumstances. Think aloud: “What happens if I falter at this point? How do I pivot and transition from here?” Plan a detailed contingency plan for every action and decision.
Embrace failure as a learning opportunity.
Failure is a natural part of the business journey, especially when navigating uncertainty. Instead of fearing failure, see it as a learning opportunity. Resolve to fail forward: reflect on your failures, learn from them, and use those experiences to make better decisions in the future.
Scale up in life: How to be the best version of yourself
Investing in yourself is essential if you want to feel your best self, irrespective of your age. Becoming your best self involves taking care of three key aspects of your life: your head (mental and emotional well-being), your heart (relationships and emotional intelligence), and your health (physical well-being).
Here are some tips by Dr. Tanjie Brewer, CEO of Stylish & Fit, on how to be your best self in these areas:
Head (Mental and Emotional Well-being):
- Practice self-awareness: Pay attention to your thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. Reflect on your strengths, weaknesses, and areas for improvement. Practice mindfulness and meditation to develop a better understanding of yourself.
- Set and pursue meaningful goals: Identify what truly matters to you and set realistic and achievable goals. Break them down into smaller steps and work towards them consistently.
- Manage stress: Learn healthy coping mechanisms to manage stress, such as exercise, deep breathing, or talking to a trusted friend or therapist. Practice self-care regularly to be your best self.
- Continuous learning: Engage in activities that challenge your mind and expand your knowledge. Read books, take up a hobby, learn a new skill, or enroll in a course to keep your brain active and sharp.
- Develop resilience: Life can be challenging at times, and setbacks are inevitable. Learn to bounce back from failures and disappointments. Cultivate a positive mindset, practice self-compassion, and seek support when needed.
Heart (relationships and emotional intelligence):
- Build meaningful relationships: Nurture healthy relationships with family, friends, and colleagues. Practice effective communication, active listening, empathy, and forgiveness. Develop and maintain strong social connections that support your well-being.
- Cultivate emotional intelligence: Emotional intelligence involves understanding and managing your own emotions and those of others. Enhance your emotional intelligence by developing skills in self-awareness, self-regulation, empathy, social awareness, and relationship management.
- Practice kindness and gratitude: Show kindness and appreciation towards others. Practice gratitude by regularly acknowledging and expressing gratitude to scale up in life. It can boost your well-being and strengthen relationships.
Health (physical well-being):
- Exercise regularly: Regular physical activity is crucial for your overall health and well-being. Find a form of exercise that you enjoy and make it a regular part of your routine. Aim for a balanced mix of cardiovascular exercise, strength training, and flexibility exercises.
- Eat a healthy diet: fuel your body with nutritious foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and healthy fats. Limit your intake of processed foods, sugary drinks, and excessive caffeine.
- Get enough sleep: Sleep is essential for physical and mental rejuvenation. Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night. Establish a bedtime routine, create a conducive sleep environment, and avoid screens before bedtime.
- Take care of your mental health: Seek help if you are struggling with mental health issues, such as anxiety or depression. Practice stress-management techniques, and engage in activities that bring you joy and relaxation.
Takeaway: Scale up to be your best self
Investing in yourself requires time, effort, and commitment, but the rewards are worth it. By prioritizing your personal growth, you can be your best self and unlock your full potential. Remember to set clear goals, continuously learn, and take care of your health. You can scale up successfully by building a support system and implementing a discipline around habits that support your growth. With dedication and perseverance, you can scale up and achieve success in all aspects of your life.
Remember, becoming your best self is a continuous journey, and it’s okay to make mistakes and learn from them. It takes effort, self-reflection, and consistent practice, but the benefits are worth it. Be kind to yourself, and celebrate your progress along the way.